Sunday, September 22, 2013

ACE #4: Why Christians Love "Scandal"


I must admit I can hardly contain myself! The Season 3 premiere of "Scandal" is next week…sooooo far away.  That October 3, 2013 at 10:00 p.m. just will not come soon enough.  I am glued to the television EVERY Thursday night, with all of my household chores completed, and my remote in hand.  I even rewind some parts during commercial breaks to make sure I saw what I thought I saw in those last few scenes. Quit playing, I’m not alone - this adulterous, tortured, elephant in the room love affair between a powerful white man (the most powerful) and a powerful black woman (in her own right).  They both call the shots in very different ways, but he clearly calls all of the shots in the on-again, off-again relationship.  It’s forbidden and secretive (well maybe not so much anymore).  You are hiding your face in shame too – something so far from what Christians should be watching on television, right?  After all we are taught to guard what our mouths say, what our ears hear, and what our eyes see.  My husband often asks, "Why are you watching that trash?" and then other times, "Really, we can't even talk to you when this is on?" And then he laughs...sort of.  But really, why does "Scandal" seem so addictive to Christians? As one of those Christians, maybe it’s because in "Scandal" I can see glimpses – dare I say resemblances - of the fall of men (and women) in the Bible and at times even their redemption. Either you aren’t watching "Scandal" closely enough or you aren’t reading your Bible enough.  These are the EPIC Bible stories I see (just to name a few):
 
1.    Samuel and Saul
2.    Saul and David
3.    David and Goliath
4.    Jonathan and David
5.    David and Bathsheba
6.    Jezebel and Ahab
7.    Jesus and Peter
8.    Judas Iscariot
9.    The 12 Disciples
10. Sodom and Gomorrah
 
Let’s be clear, Olivia Pope is not the Jezebel in the story folks…that’s Mellie Grant. All of the temptation, twisted relationships, and dare I say it…sex.  There are times though when our lead character, Olivia, actually visits the church.  You don’t remember?  She was at Baby Fitzgerald’s christening and Verna’s funeral. Nope, I won’t justify why Christians watch "Scandal".  I also won’t stop watching.  At the end of the day, or Thursday nights, Christians love "Scandal" for the exact same reason everybody else does…it’s just darn good story telling - the unexpected twists, turns, surprises and all out gasps.  What I know for sure is that I do not desire the tortured life of Olivia Pope…just her wardrobe.  You know it’s banging!

Study links:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Samuel+11&version=NIV
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Kings+21&version=NIV
OP link:

 
Kerry Washington pretty much rocks! The rest of the cast is pretty awesome and convincing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment