Monday, August 24, 2015

ACE #395: And Then God Reminded Me...

No one really knows how many times I have asked God these questions:  Why did you make me love the field of education?  Why couldn't I have been smarter in the STEM areas and been an engineer or doctor?  Why couldn't I have chosen a career path that makes me money and not miserable and burdened at times? Between me and God, I'm sure one of us has lost count.  You see, I have gained absolutely no monetary or professional advancement in this field...seriously, I haven't.  As a matter of fact, I often think that I am more stuck, or cursed, than blessed in my field.  My sister always told me that someday I would be a "star" in the field of education. I'm still waiting...and not patiently, I might add. Yeah, yeah, I know; I should be grateful for a job, right?  Right...but...can't I want more?

I was riding in my car a few weeks ago listening to Joel Osteen on Pandora and through His message I heard God reminding me of three things:

1.  Just be excellent.
2.  Honor the one who gave you the gift(s).
3.  Be kind.

And then God reminded me, again...that I am uniquely purposed to do what I do - because I could do and be all of those things with my big heart, my bright ideas, and my god-loving, god-fearing soul.  All are required to do what I do. Then I read something that confirmed God's plan for my life:

Kids aren't going to care about Algebra or Shakespeare if they're worried about are they going to eat when they get home, do they know where they are going to sleep tonight, and are parents or guardians going to sell me for sex when I get home" (John Barge, State School Superintendent, Georgia Department of Education).

That statement within itself was both profound and sad.  I had to give myself a pep talk. 

You're called to do this thing! You are designed to help students "reach higher" in spite of their circumstances.  There is more...better...greater in them. You make a difference.  Your work matters.

Everyone doesn't have a sympathetic or empathetic enough heart to sow seeds into others and quite possibly never know if those seeds flourished.  In the last two weeks, many of my former college students have reached out to me to remind me what purpose/role I have played during certain seasons of their lives.  My husband reminded me that my students are my harvest.  The seeds I planted in their lives are evident in their success...and even in their gratitude. 

The field of education is much like ministry - if you get into it for the money, then you have already made a terrible decision.  You have to do it because it is what you are called to do, what you are purposed for, what God has designed for your life...and you have to care enough that you might not ever get noticed, might not ever get paid a lot, or might not even get a "thank you" - and be okay with it...because God is in it.  


 Isaiah 40
 He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment