Thursday, January 22, 2015

ACE #329: Brown Skin and Forgiveness

One of my favorite songs is "Brown Skin" by India Arie.  It is about a young lady who admires the brown skin of a young man.  His color is not just what she sees, but what fascinates her.  Some of the lyrics read:

Where are your people from?  Maybe Mississippi or an island.  
Apparently your skin has been kissed by the sun.  

When I was younger, white children and even some teachers made me feel marginalized and disrespected because of my skin color.  I was not, and could not possibly be, as smart or as pretty because of my brown skin.  Fortunately, I had parents, family members, and church members who were able to instill in me a pride for who I was ethnically, racially and culturally.  I must admit, I never felt ashamed because of my skin color, but I often felt invisible...even if I was the only one in the room who looked like me.  I always vowed that if I ever had children, I would teach them to love everything about themselves...especially their brown skin.


The other day, I picked our daughter up from her after school program.  One of her friends, who she has been with since the baby room at her previous daycare, was running around the room.  The exchange went something like this:

Her:  Mom, you know "Luke" is my boyfriend.

Him:  No, "Mary" is my girlfriend.  Why would I want to marry someone with a different skin color than mine?

The teacher and I exchanged sharp glances.  Then I said, "Well, if two people who have different color skin really love each other, it should not matter what their skin color is. But you both are too young to be talking about marriage and boyfriend/girlfriend stuff anyway."  I was actually pretty shocked and mildly furious at the exchange.

Her:  Well...Mom, Martin Luther King Jr. taught us that skin color doesn't matter.

Yet, it was still a painful reminder that skin color and race do matter...to many people...and perhaps to too many people...still. These two have been friends basically since birth, six years ago.  They have rarely viewed one another as "different" until this day.  In my mind, I can only imagine that someone much older and "wiser" had pointed out the "difference". 

When we got in the car, I talked to our daughter about the issue.  I explained to her that her brown skin was beautiful and anyone that made her feel less than what she was because of it was not worth being her friend or even her husband down the road.  I  also explained to her that when her friends say inappropriate or mean things to her that she should make them accountable and let them know it immediately.  Also, if they did not respect her, then she did not have to be friends with them.

Her response, "Mom, I really like being friends with him.  I forgive him. It's okay."

I replied, "No, it is not okay for anyone to try to make you feel less than what you are.  Your mom and your dad have brown skin and we love it and love you even more.  But the fact that you forgive him is exactly what Jesus would want you to do."

So...who really taught the lesson here?


Photo www.afroboudoir.com

Matthew 21:16
16 “Do you hear what these children are saying?” they asked him.
“Yes,” replied Jesus, “have you never read,
“‘From the lips of children and infants    you, Lord, have called forth your praise’[a]?”

Luke 6:37

37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Mark 11:25
25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”

No comments:

Post a Comment