Wednesday, January 6, 2016

ACE #415: What Are You Praying For?

About 10 months ago, I delivered a message, "What Are You Praying For?" As I think about this new year, I have realized that not one of my prayers has been answered. 

We have been conditioned to believe that whatever it is that we ask for, we will get it. After all, the Word says that the Father knows what we want before we even ask for it and that He will give us the desires of our hearts if we delight ourselves in him. These are familiar Scriptures that have been ingrained in us since we were young. But as an adult, it just looks different. The trials of this world can make you feel like you’ve been backed into a corner or you are on the ropes fighting for your life. Then you hear someone say, “Just pray.” The interesting part is that we’ve been taught all of these things, but we haven’t been taught necessarily to pray for the right stuff. So what are you praying for?

If the question was posed to you, “If God could answer any one of your prayers, what would it be?” Now, add the stipulation, but it has to benefit someone else. Consider how your prayer would change. But let’s be clear, God is neither Santa Claus or a genie in a bottle. We don’t get to give Him our wish list. We should actually be glad He isn’t because after our three wishes are up, he would just move on to someone else. So what are you praying for?

As you take your requests to the Lord in 2016, consider these things:


Are my prayers shortsighted, misdirected, or just plain selfish?
Are my prayers just for personal benefit or just simply for show? 

Are my prayers for the intangible or the tangible things?
 

What does the formula for prayer include?

1. Part of the formula for prayer includes our obedience - for obedience is better than sacrifice.  We should have no expectation that if we are not abiding in His will and His way, that our prayers are His priority.  His ways are not our ways.  His timing is perfect and certainly not like ours.  But it is our choice to obey Him.

2. We have to focus and set our priorities to pray for the right stuff. The right stuff is about praying effectually and fervently, with rigor, dedication, consistency, through sacrifice and in the Spirit. Halfway, inconsistent prayer is not going to work.

3. The word of God says that whatever you’re praying for you should go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. That certainly takes social media out of the picture for most of us.  Our prayers are not to be put on display.


4.  We have to know the power and magnificence of the God we are praying to. God can do anything He wants to do when He wants to do it and for whom He wants to do it.  It really is that simple.

5.  We might have to fast to see a breakthrough.  In other words, there might be some thing(s) we have to give up and sacrifice for a period of time.  For some things only come by fasting and praying.

On our list of prayer priorities should be peace, love, joy, kindness, patience, strength, holiness, forgiveness, goodness, faithfulness, healing, direction, guidance, and just a clean heart – all the things that money can’t buy. 

For 2016, stand in your "yet will I trust Him" position.  Activate your faith and increase your prayer life. And watch God deliver on His promises.  

 



 I know that when I pray, something wonderful happens, not just to the person or persons for whom I'm praying, but also something wonderful happens to me.  I'm grateful that I'm heard.

Dr. Maya Angelou 


Matthew 18:19

Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.

Matthew 21:22

And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.

Mark 11:24

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

John 14:13

And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment