Tuesday, May 5, 2015

ACE #376: A Helping Hand

Yesterday, as I was pulling up to Kroger, I was talking on the telephone to one of my cousins.  When I put the car in park, I saw something that I felt needed my immediate attention.  I told my cousin I would call her back in a few minutes.  Standing in front of me was a young lady in an older model vehicle with her grocery cart beside it.

I got out of my car and walked up to a young lady and said, "Excuse me.  It looks like you have locked your keys in the car." 

She responded, "Yes, ma'am. I did."
  
I said, "I will see if I can help you."

So, I tried to stick my arm through the small opening in the window to unlock the door, but was unsuccessful.  I never had this problem in the past, but since I have gained a pound or two over the years, that trick doesn't work so well anymore. Lol!

Another gentleman and a pregnant lady came over with a hanger.  They had been trying to help this lady before I arrived, but with no success.  That's when I noticed something...the window on the side of the car where I was standing was down a little farther than the one where they were standing.  I suggested that they try the window on my side so that the young lady could put the hanger in the door a little closer to the lock.  And what do you know, she was at least one inch closer and could push the lock open with the hanger.  The young lady was so grateful considering it was 80 degrees outside and she had a basket full of groceries to put in her car.  

I learned several things in this encounter.
1. Never be too busy or too preoccupied to help someone who is in need.
2. Never be ashamed to ask for help if you need it.
3. Never judge someone by their possessions or lack of possessions.
4. Never underestimate the power of teamwork - it still works.

I encourage someone today to set aside apprehension, busyness, judgment, and pride to show God's love and lend someone a helping hand.



1 John 3:17 
But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?

No comments:

Post a Comment