Friday, January 10, 2014

ACE #105: That Painful 'Thorn Place'

Paul talks about a thorn (splinter, stake, or something pointed) in his flesh that tormented him.  The thorn could be interpreted as perhaps a physical ailment, some type of temptation/sin, or challenges/opposition that is in the way.  As it seems, God allowed Satan to afflict Paul just like with Job.  Paul's "thorn" was given to him to keep him from being "puffed up" or prideful. 

As I've studied these verses, I've recognized my own "thorns".  There are two that linger with me - and have for some time.  That "thorn place" (that's what I call it) is that place where you've prayed about something often, you've asked the "why" and "how" questions, and there seems to be no movement, or perhaps silence from God.  It's a tough and frustrating place that robs you of rest - emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually.
 
But what I've learned is that through my "thorns", God is really trying to get me to trust Him, to lean on Him, and to seek Him.  Honestly, it's been a painful and grueling process over the years.  However, there's a promise in these verses that even when I am weak (in my "thorn place"), God's strength is made perfect and His grace is always sufficient.  And because of my faith, that's enough...

Trust God when you are in your "thorn place"!

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
 
Angela Spivey - "These Thorns"
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment