Friday, January 31, 2014

ACE #123: That Crazy Mouth of Yours

One of the things I always try to do is to make sure that when I am dealing with others, especially in the workplace and the church setting, that the things that come out of my mouth are acceptable to God.  Honestly, sometimes I fail miserably, but I'm getting better. 
 
It takes a certain level of spiritual maturity to be able to walk away from a "verbal boxing match".  My mother calls it, "playing the dozens".  The "You jab me, I am going to undercut you" kind of thing.  When you were younger, they were the one liners that started out with "Your mama..." and ended with somebody stomping off mad or somebody throwing a punch.  Sometimes it's the challenge of it all and you just have to win.
 
Always be mindful that whatever you say remains pleasing in God's sight...and to His ears. You never want to ruin your testimony by not thinking before you speak. People have a way of remembering exactly what you say and how you said it.  You don't have to win "the match" every time. Sometimes your silence will speak much louder than your rebuttal.   
 
 
 
year27.com


Psalm 19:14
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing (or acceptable) in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.


Proverbs 21:23                     
Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.
Ephesians 4:29    
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
Proverbs 15:1                
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Proverbs 12:18                    
There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
 

1 comment:

  1. Charliese you said a mouthful with this one"no pun intended". I have the mouth of a Lewis in me and the Lord knows I struggle with this. I'm working on it and he's working on me.

    ReplyDelete