Tuesday, February 3, 2015

ACE #334: Are You In the Background?

A couple of weeks ago, my daughter and I were watching the Screen Actors Guild Awards. This was certainly an experience. My daughter had many questions, as usual. I enjoyed it though. She was impressed with the décor and the different clothing lines.

As we were watching, the category arrived for ‘OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A MALE ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE’. I think this award is so cool. Why? Because it shows that you don’t have to be the star to be recognized. In this role, you are charged with making sure the lead is out in front and you are graciously offering every ounce of effort you have to make the production a success. The film is not about you. The role is in place to support the lead. In other words, it is the background.

Friends, is this not our role in the kingdom? Are we not supposed to support lead in Christ, Jesus? Isn’t this walk about Him and not us? Were we not created to worship Him? He is the lead. As His elect, we are called to be in outstanding supporting roles for the Kingdom of God.

The apostle Paul said I won’t brag about myself, even though I could. I don’t want people to think more of me than what they see me do or hear me say. He was more about Jesus, the Christ, and He was more than the accomplishments about himself. He was fine with playing the background. Are we?



1 comment: