Friday, September 12, 2014

ACE #278: The Breast Cancer Scare

The day after my 40th birthday, I was required by my OBGYN to have a breast exam.  It was not my first, but I had not had one in three years.  It was the usual uncomfortable and embarrassingly intrusive mammogram.  By the end of the week, I had received a letter stating that there was a finding on my test, but these types of findings were usually benign.  When I called to schedule a follow-up appointment, it would be three weeks before I could be seen.  There was also a possibility that I would need an ultrasound and/or a biopsy during this exam.  (At this point, I realized why – for the past year – I have been drawn to the book of Mark.  This particular book outlines the miracles of Jesus.  The recurrent statement within these Scriptures is “by your faith, you are healed.”  I finally got it!) 
My worry had been minimal up to the very point where I sat in the lobby waiting on my name to be called.  The technician took me in the back and told me that I would get my results in the next 30 minutes or so from one of the radiologists.  After the test, my husband and I sat in the “consult room”…waiting patiently for the results.   After about 15 minutes the same technician rushed in with good news stating that there were no findings and they would see me next year.  She mentioned that she really didn't know what it was that made these results so different from the last ones, but they didn't see anything on the film. After she left, my husband and I joined hands and prayed, thanking God for “the good report” we had received.
I decided to share my story because of the importance of early detection, self-exams, and mammograms as it relates to breast cancer.  Many women refuse to go to the doctor for these tests, even when they know something isn't quite right with their bodies.  They fear the test itself, but also the results of the test. It is so important for us to take care of our bodies and to have the necessary exams regardless of how inconvenient, intrusive, or embarrassing they might be.  While I received a clean bill of health, other women I know have not received the best report.  Several of my Facebook friends and others I know have either had treatment for breast cancer or are preparing to have treatment.  My prayers are with them during this challenging season of their lives.
So today, I encourage everyone to go to the doctor and to get the required annual exams.  Be intentional about your health and, whatever the report, to function in faith.


He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. 
Go in peace and be freed from your suffering" (Mark 5:34). 

·         About 1 in 8 U.S. women (just over 12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
·         In 2013, an estimated 232,340 new cases of invasive breast cancer were expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 64,640 new cases of non-invasive  breast cancer.
·         About 2,240 new cases of invasive breast cancer were expected to be diagnosed in men in 2013. A man’s lifetime risk of breast cancer is about 1 in 1,000.
·         Breast cancer incidence rates in the U.S. began decreasing in the year 2000, after increasing for the previous two decades. They dropped by 7% from 2002 to 2003 alone. One theory is that this decrease was partially due to the reduced use of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) by women after the results of a large study called the Women’s Health Initiative were published in 2002. These results suggested a connection between HRT and increased breast cancer risk.
·         About 39,620 women in the U.S. were expected to die in 2013 from breast cancer, though death rates have been decreasing since 1989 — with larger decreases in women under 50. These decreases are thought to be the result of treatment advances, earlier detection through screening, and increased awareness.
·         For women in the U.S., breast cancer death rates are higher than those for any other cancer, besides lung cancer.
·         Besides skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among American women. Just under 30% of cancers in women are breast cancers.
·         White women are slightly more likely to develop breast cancer than African-American women. However, in women under 45, breast cancer is more common in African-American women than white women. Overall, African-American women are more likely to die of breast cancer. Asian, Hispanic, and Native-American women have a lower risk of developing and dying from breast cancer.
·         In 2013, there were more than 2.8 million women with a history of breast cancer in the U.S. This includes women currently being treated and women who have finished treatment.
·         A woman’s risk of breast cancer approximately doubles if she has a first-degree relative (mother, sister, daughter) who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. About 15% of women who get breast cancer have a family member diagnosed with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment