Tuesday, March 18, 2014

ACE #158: Daddy's Girl

Today is my father’s birthday.  The older I get, the more I appreciate him. 

When I was a college Sophomore, I went through a bad breakup with my very first boyfriend.  I’d invested about five years or so of my life into this relationship.  My dad saw me moping about as I was coming out of my grandparent’s house and walking toward my car.  He backed his car up in the middle of the street and rolled the window down.  Here’s how it went:
I’m sick of you walking around here like you’ve really lost something.  You have everything going for you.  You’re smart.  You’re good looking.  You’re young with your life ahead of you.  You have a nice car.  You have a good education.  You have a good job.  What have you really lost?  He doesn’t have half of the things you have; yet I’m sure he’s moved on.  Your mom and I work hard to make sure that you have everything you need.  You didn’t have to depend on him for anything, not even a ride anywhere.  So pick your head up and keep it moving.  You’ll get another boyfriend eventually.  Focus on school.  I don’t want to have this conversation with you again.  Do you hear me?

Yep...I heard him loudly and clearly.  I’ve told this story many times and it still resonates with me.  My dad validated me at home.  I didn’t have to search for love anywhere.  He made sure that his children knew the depths of his love for us and our own self-worth, although it seemed harsh at the time.  That’s why I have the husband I have – a hard-working, god-fearing, family man - because my dad made me know that’s what I deserved!  He gave me so much, just in that one brief moment, to last me a lifetime.

So today, I salute my daddy, Charlie Brown.  I will forever be known as one of Charlie’s Angels.  I love my daddy!
 
Luke 11:11-12

What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?





 

No comments:

Post a Comment