Tuesday, April 26, 2016

ACE #424: Provision Does Not Mean Permission

During the Lenten Season, God very specifically told me to stop spending money frivolously...for 40 days.  I was not just taken aback, I was a little annoyed.  Honestly, I knew exactly what He was referring to.  It meant I had to stop eating out for lunch everyday, stop ordering clothing online, and stop buying stuff just because it was on sale.  I pride myself on using coupons, ya know. This entire sacrifice took so much restraint.  I unsubscribed to all of my shopping sites as not to even be tempted a little.  One of those sites in particular resubscribes you within hours after you unsubscribe. For the nerve!  This was a huge undertaking.  I had to ask the Lord why He would require such a thing.  He told me clearly that He was going to teach me how to do more with less, but it required me changing my habits.  He was giving me a tough lesson in stewardship.

The other day, I went into Kohl's to purchase a belt.  I saw some sunglasses nearby.  I went over to try a few pairs on and realized they cost $9.99.  I thought, what the heck it is just $9.99.  When I went to pay for them, they rang up $16.99.  Now, I was not going to pay that much for those sunglasses.  One of the clerks went back to confirm the price.  They were indeed $16.99, but hanging in the wrong spot.  I declined the purchase.  A few days later, I went into New York & Company.  Sunglasses were $5.99.  One lady had about four pairs on the counter ready to purchase all of them.  I saw the pair I wanted, but it was in her stack.  I turned around and saw a table full of glasses.  Nevertheless, none was the pair I wanted.  So, I declined the purchase again.  I told my daughter, "You know what?  I don't need them.  Your daddy bought me a pair last year that I've never even worn."  When I got home, there they were...a brand new pair of sunglasses sitting in the same spot they have been sitting all winter...waiting to be worn.  Then, I felt a bit ashamed, but mindful that I was also trying to set an example to my daughter that just because you go into a store does not mean you always have to buy something.  And just because I had the money to spend, did not mean I should spend it.  I would not completely understand the lesson until I studied the Book of Jonah.

As I studied Jonah, I realized something so slight, yet so powerful.  When Jonah fled to Tarshish, he boarded a ship.  He paid his fare with no problem. He did it legally; he didn't stow away.  He actually had the money.  No doubt, God had provided Jonah the resources to pay the fare very easily.  That's when the Spirit whispered, "Provision does not mean permission."  I realized that just because Jonah had the money to board the ship didn't mean that it was the right thing to do.  Even though he boarded the ship with ease, didn't mean he would sail away with ease.  Jonah was disobedient, and then the storm came.

So, today, I want to tell someone that just because God has given provision doesn't mean that He gives us permission, particularly if we are not being obedient to His will and His way.  Bend your ear to the Spirit to listen for His permission so that you can be a better steward of what God has provided.


Jonah Flees From the Lord

The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.”
But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord.






No comments:

Post a Comment