Wednesday, February 12, 2014

ACE #133: Check Your Crew

Recently, I was reminded of how important it is to look at the people who I hang around.  I'm not talking about just my associations as much as I am talking about the people who are in my inner circle - my crew - the people I am out with in public, the people others associate me with when they see me, the people who know my business, and the people who might share my business.

Some time ago, I chose not to hang out with one of my friends because the life that this person was leading was not what I wanted to influence or impact my life.  This person's choices could result in serious ramifications with possible safety issues if the situation went too far.  And, honestly, I had to seriously evaluate if my close association with this person would please God.  I thought about how Jesus would sit with all kinds of people - saints and sinners.  Then I thought about how even His inner circle, His disciples, had to be "trained" in the ways of God; yet they still fell short, but Jesus loved them anyway.  Then I had to think about the Scripture my Aunt Shirley would always quote to me, "Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you."

When you are on a different spiritual path, sometimes getting closer to God means one of three things:

1) You might have to leave some people behind or just walk away.
2) You might have to function in your role from a distance.
2) You might have to help the person with their spiritual walk. 
Honestly, some people do not want to know God intimately.  And, it's okay.  People have to desire that type of relationship - you can't make them want it or have it.

This person and I are still friends.  We just can't hang out in the same places and do the same things anymore...well, because I've changed.  My life 20 years ago wasn't bad (as a matter of fact, I was kicking it hard), but it wasn't right either.  And...I knew better then, I just wasn't doing better.  My charge is different now. 

To this day, if my friend was in need, I'd "show up" and sow a seed.  That's just how I'm built.  On your spiritual journey, you will have to determine the company you will keep with sober judgment.  Either way, make sure you are doing what God desires of you before you kick someone else to the curb.


1 Corinthians 15:33                    
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”
  
Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm. 
  
Proverbs 14:7                    
Leave the presence of a fool, for there you do not meet words of knowledge.


 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment