Tuesday, October 14, 2014

ACE #291: Yes Lord!

Last weekend, my wife, our daughter and I were in Joe’s Crab Shack having dinner, in unfamiliar territory. As we were eating, my wife and I were engaged in a deep conversation. However, our daughter was off in her own little world. As we were talking, our daughter asked,

“Daddy, did you call my name?”

We looked at her and quickly replied, “No.”

Thinking nothing of it we returned to our conversation. Again, we were interrupted by our daughter as she said, “What?”

My wife looked at her and said, “No one called you.”

“I think I heard someone calling my name,” she said.

We paused for a second and looked at her. We looked around and no one was there. In fact, we were in another state. Who knew us? Then I remembered the story in the book of 1 Samuel 3 about how God first used the young boy, Samuel, to be His prophet. God used Samuel as he delivered a clear message to Eli concerning the disobedience and blasphemy of his family members. Samuel was a young boy who was under Eli's mentorship and God spoke to him because He needed something done for the kingdom. Read the experience when you have time. This experience reminded me that God will use whomever He pleases, when He pleases. So, in response, I told our daughter, “The next time you hear your name, answer with a simple…Yes Lord.” I will leave it at that.

Oftentimes we think we know who God wants to use. In our minds, God has a certain type of person or age of a person that He will use for His work. That is far from the truth. As parents, we could have, in that moment, dismissed the fact that our five-year-old daughter believed her name was being called. We could have made her believe it was just her imagination. However, we didn't. 

No matter who you are, sometimes the only way to know God is calling is just by humbly answering. I am not sure if God is trying to use you or someone in your family. He may be trying to use the kid(s). I am just encouraging someone today, that when you hear your name being called that it just might be the Lord.  Respond with a Yes Lord! Your servant is here.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Samuel%203&version=NIV






 

No comments:

Post a Comment