Wednesday, July 1, 2015

ACE #388: Step Up Your Game

When I was in middle school, I played on the basketball team. I was one of the starting five.  There was a young lady who was considered to be "the sixth (wo)man" - that was until she got my starting spot.  I remember that game so well.  My coach tried to break it to me gently that I would not start this particular game.  I was bummed.  I was actually a little angry.  Within about five minutes, I was put in the game as a substitute.  All I knew was that I had to get my starting spot back, but how would I do it?  I made up my mind I would use what I had - my strengths - to get my spot back. 

I have always known that I was small, but really fast.  This game, I used it to my advantage.  I ended up with the most steals and the most rebounds in that game.  My quickness was activated.  And guess what?  The other girl...my coach never looked at her again for the starting position.  I used what I had and earned my spot back.  In other words, I stepped up my game so that I could claim my rightful position.  I did not have to betray anyone, gossip behind anyone's back, or even discuss how I would get my spot back.  I just stepped up my game. 

Samuel anointed David as king well before David took the throne.  And when he did it, "the Spirit of the Lord rushed upon David from that day forward."  David served in Saul's service before he was able to claim his rightful position as king. He was Saul's armor bearer because he had found favor in Saul's eyes.  The Word said that "Saul was refreshed and was well, and the harmful spirit departed from him" because of David and his musical ability to play the harp.  Eventually, David had to step up his game and became a well known warrior, particularly after he killed Goliath the Philistine.  He even killed 200 more Philistines for Michal, Saul's daughter, to become his wife.  The word says that David's name "was highly esteemed."

There will come a time when the rubber will meet the road.  You will have to prove what you are made of in order to go to that next level.  The thing about David is that every time he went higher, the Lord showed him great favor.  Saul tried to kill David many times, but David was always protected by God's favor.  When David had the chance to kill Saul, he refused to do it.  That is how Saul knew that David was surely going to be king. 

If God has anointed you with special gifts, then you do not have to do anything against or say anything bad about someone else to get your rightful spot.  All you have to do is trust God, use your gifts, and step up your game.



No comments:

Post a Comment