Monday, November 30, 2015

ACE #410: If 'The Soul Train Awards' Gave You Life...

...then you were in good company.  I have boycotted most "awards shows" years ago.  I have found them to be over-sexualized, demonic and just plain distasteful.  But last night...was an awesome reminder of what good music is all about.  It felt wonderful to hear songs that reminded me of my youth, but also to hear real love songs.

Erykah Badu was a true delight as the host, doubling as a spinning deejay for the Soul Cypher.  Chrisette Michele, Jill Scott, Jazmine Sullivan and Lalah Hathaway are all divas in their own way.  It was good to see Eddie Levert with the young folk.  I must admit, I was glad to hear K-Ci do a familiar tune, but I still got a little tickled at him.  Between him and Tevin Campbell, just like most of us, the aging is obvious...well, not as obvious for some of us.

I felt extremely nostalgic during the Kenny 'Babyface' Edmond's tribute.  Babyface's brother, Kevon Edmonds, is still working that high tenor. True enough, Bobby Brown was a little round and out of breath, but only Bobby Brown can sing a classic like "Tenderoni".  Fantasia gave new breath to "Shoop", but I have to admit, it is hard to listen to anyone sing a Whitney Houston classic; Tasia did it justice though.  I miss Whitney! #RIPNippy

I would have preferred if Karyn White had sung her own chart-topping single, "Superwoman".  But she took to the internet to explain why she didn't sing her own song during the tribute, "I don't know. No one contacted me." But she did say she thought that Fantasia did an excellent job saying, "She's a bad girl." She let the whole world know that she is just glad to be here at 50-years-old and she is still performing.

As usual, Boyz II Men was as polished, classy, and harmonious as ever with "I'll Make Love to You" and "End of the Road."  Honestly, I probably own all of their albums even if no one else has bought them over the years.

I missed Cameo's performance, but I don't think I missed much...so I hear.  Now, I am not an R. Kelly supporter.  But in true R. Kelly fashion, he gave the fans a show with his "Backyard Party" hit with a snippet of each classic tune in true Kells fashion.  His vocals were dead on.  He didn't lose not one single drop of skill in that area.  However, at almost 50, he is still sticking to what works...I guess. 

But trust me when I tell you that the absolute best performance of the night was a combo of soul-stirring gospel divas.  When Erica Campbell extended the invitation for folks to admit to themselves, "I Need a Little More Jesus" and Tasha Cobbs exhorted the audience to "Put a Praise On It" - I saw and even felt the shift.  

There's a miracle in this room with my name on it.  There's a healing in this room and it's here for me.  There's a breakthrough in this room and it's got my name on it. So I'm gonna put a praise on it!

Now...that...is the performance...that had me...on my feet.  I love some Jesus and I receive the breakthrough!  




Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD.
Psalm 150:6



No comments:

Post a Comment