Monday, August 15, 2016

ACE #433: What Do Your Ears Hear?

I remember being younger and hearing my friends say mean things to each other, especially in high school and later in college.  When the comments were directed toward me, I would often ignore it or just laugh it off because it became so uncomfortable.  One of my friends would constantly have something to say about my hair.  Another would go out of the way to tease me for being smart. Then every now and then someone would say something sarcastic because I had a car at 16-years-old, all the while in the next breath, they would ask for a ride somewhere.  As I got older, some people around me would take verbal jabs about my possessions...material things I had.  I would think, I work everyday; so whatever I have...I earned it.  But, truthfully, their words began to kill my spirit because they were actually hurtful. It often made me ashamed or embarrassed to have nice things or to share my accomplishments.  It also made me think about how the power of life and death really is in the tongue.

But as I matured, I began to realize a few things about the character of people and the power of my inner circle; some people really are your enemies and you don't even know it.  I came across an old Facebook post that read:
 
Pay attention. People always reveal themselves. We always focus on what our eyes can see, but give less value to what our ears hear.
What comes out of the mouth is usually a reflection of a person's heart...their jealousy, their bitterness, their competitive spirit, their insecurities, their brokenness, their covetousness, even their true dislike of you. The wool wasn't pulled over your eyes, it was over your ears.
Listen closer next time...and then you'll see more clearly.

So, now, I pay attention...and make the adjustments...to the things that come out of my own mouth and to the things I allow to enter my ears.  If necessary, make some adjustments or at least listen up...it will keep the enemy out of your camp.




No comments:

Post a Comment