Tuesday, December 10, 2013

ACE #82: Confessions from a Non-Theologian

theo·lo·gian

noun \ˌthē-ə-ˈlō-jən\
: a person who is an expert on theology

the·ol·o·gy

noun \thē-ˈä-lə-jē\
: the study of religious faith, practice, and experience : the study of God and God's relation to the world
: a system of religious beliefs or ideas
 
(Thanks http://www.merriam-webster.com/ for the definitions).
 
Can anyone guess how many times I've been approached about going to seminary, also known as a theological college or divinity school? Okay, me either at this point.  As each day passes and my ministry grows both with and individually distinctive from my husband's, I get asked the question a lot, "When are you enrolling in seminary?"  I rarely even answer.  Of course, some folk still don't even recognize "women in the ministry" so they won't dare ask at all.  (Did I just LOL? Okay, just a little). 
 
I realize as each day passes, I don't really want to "study" about my religious faith as much as I want to live out and teach others through my experiences and the Word of God.  The more I study God's Word, the more I grow and the more I learn.  Right there.  Somebody just got offended and thought I was talking about them, when I'm still talking about myself.  I've listened to pastors preach with elevated vocabulary that comes straight out of a graduate-level seminary textbook.  It reminds me of my own limitations - everyone is not a King James Version person, some folk are New International Version kind of people because they can really "get it" that way.  
 
Let's be clear, I'm not against theology degrees. I'm not.  In some instances, it is necessary to hold certain positions and offices.  I've come across many who absolutely love theology and will discuss it for hours at a time.  Hats off to all of the theologians of the world.  I'm just not one of them.  Over the years, I've learned that I'm really not all that deep, not an expert on anything, or even brilliant in most things...and I'm okay with that. 

Now, it's time for the BIG confession - I just want to be inspired by God and to do His work.  Maybe one day I will become a great theologian; however, in the words of my dear great-aunt Leola, "...but not today though".
 
Study Link:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Timothy%203:10-17&version=NIV
 
 
 
"God doesn’t call the equipped…He equips the called!"
 
Photo credit: marshill.org
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. As always.... Love, love, love ACE. You definitely do not need a theology degree to inspire the way only you can do! Keep on doing what He has surely called you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job again! No, you don't need a theology degree, just continue to do what God leads you to do.

    ReplyDelete