Tuesday, July 22, 2014

ACE #258: I'm Only Human

There was this really popular song in the 1980s called, "Human" by the Human League.  It is now a timeless classic.  The lyrics to the chorus are:

I'm only human of flesh and blood I'm made. Human, born to make mistakes. 

(Okay, I have to admit...those are NOT the words I've been singing all of these years. Hilarious!)

When Christians don't take the high road - people notice. We are expected to bow out of the argument that takes a really bad turn for the worse. When people mistreat us, we are expected to turn the other cheek. Well, here's the deal...I'm only human. 

If you curse me out, I won't curse you back, BUT I will "get you together" the best way I know how. The old folks used to call it, "Take your medicine where you get sick!"  (Sometimes people who have gotten away with being mean-spirited just need to be told the truth about themselves or simply put in their places).  Jesus didn't say I had to be bullied. I have almost...sort of...in a way...mastered loving folk and standing up for myself at the same time. If you think that makes Christians, unChristianlike, then that's just a skewed perception and not the reality. Nobody gets a free pass to be rude or to show disrespect, which has become a cultural norm, unfortunately. But Christians don't get a free pass to act a fool and then pray about it later...(I can't be the only one that thinks like that...surely!)

That's why it pays to stay prayed up and wearing the full armor of God. It will keep your mind and your tongue right. People will recognize you love Jesus by the love you show others (John 13:34-35). Love is the identifying mark...even in the most challenging circumstances. 



John 13:34-35

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

No comments:

Post a Comment