Thursday, February 12, 2015

ACE #342: I Have Never Seen Black People

This afternoon when I picked up our daughter from her aftercare program, as we were walking out of the door, a little white boy ran up to me and said, "I have never seen a black people before."  I was slightly caught off guard, but not really stunned necessarily. 

I immediately told his teacher to get him because he was out of order.  I told her exactly what he said.  She responded with a thank you and that she would immediately tell his mother.  She added, "I do not know why he would say that because there are black people around here everyday including me, his teacher."

When I got home, I asked my daughter if she had heard the little boy.  She said she did not really understand what he was saying.  I explained to her that his comment was inappropriate and rude.  She added, "...and just mean."  After a minute or so, she asked, "Mom, why do white people do that?  Why do they just bother us when we are minding our own business and not doing nothing to them?"

At this time, I had to explain to her the history of our country, the United States of America, and the impact of the institution of slavery.  After I explained to her the horror of this history, she responded, "I don't like that," and immediately began to cry. Sigh.

In my heart I thought, "Didn't we just have this conversation?"  - See this: http://theafterchurchexperience.blogspot.com/2015/01/ace-329-brown-skin-and-forgiveness.html

Again, here we go...another teachable moment for which I had not prepared a lesson. 

If you are a parent of a child of color, please instill in your child to have pride in their brown skin, yellow skin, black skin, red skin, or whatever skin.  Whatever color...instruct them of their value both historically and presently.  It certainly will not be an easy task when you might have to combat the negative images and stereotypes in the media.  Remember Trayvon Martin? Oh, and Mike Brown?

For parents of white children, teach your children to value their privilege.  Honestly, their skin might not ever be an issue.  Perhaps being honest about that privilege is the first place to start the conversation.

Parents of all children, just teach your children to respect and honor themselves and other people...period!

It is important for us to teach our child that all white people will not treat her like "a black people."  Whatever that means...


 
1 Corinthians 13:13
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment