Monday, March 16, 2015

ACE #353: May Your Cup Overflow

The other day I was struggling to prepare a meditation about prayer for a church event.  I sat down in a chair, a little frustrated and somewhat perplexed on how to finesse a message centered on the theme, "What Are You Praying For?"

I had to dig really deep about the honesty of the things I have been praying for, one for many years, and if those requests have been met by God.  The answer was, "No...not yet."  In that response, I recognized within myself that I had felt many times that God either didn't hear me, my requests were not in His will, or that I simply just did not deserve the things I have been asking for.

As I mulled over this task, my boss said something so profound:

People often sit around and think that when they pray and don't get what they prayed for that God has slighted them in some way.  Either they make themselves see things as the glass, or the cup, being half empty or being half full - instead of just being the cup...and saying "Lord fill me up until I overflow."

His statement made me reflect on Luke 22:42, as Jesus was preparing for His own death, He said, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

We often ask God to take our cup from us - the cup that requires our patience, our endurance, and perhaps our suffering.  But have we ever considered just being the cup?  The cup where there is plenty, where there is provision, where there is comfort, where there is an overflow of blessings that we don't have room enough to receive, but mostly - where God's will is done in our lives.

I encourage someone today to just be the cup! May YOU overflow.


Luke 22:42
42 “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”

Psalm 23:5

You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.



No comments:

Post a Comment