Monday, November 25, 2013

ACE #67: Everyday is a Day of Thanksgiving

Yesterday, I had the responsibility and privilege of doing the "Children's Moment" during the Sunday morning service.  The message focused on the importance of Thanksgiving. I discussed how the history books tell us that Thanksgiving is about the Pilgrims and the Indians coming together to share a meal. However, the Word of God tells us to be thankful for all things, during all times far beyond one day set aside every year.

I asked the children to tell me what were they thankful for during this season.  Here were some of their responses:
1. God
2. My daddy
3. My grandparents
4. My family

Then I explained to them that even during this season, there are people we need to pray for because everyone's Thanksgiving does not look like ours. The responses concerning prayer were:
1. People will learn who God is
2. Homeless people
3. People in India
4. My family

As I concluded the message, I focused on the adults in the room.  Then I focused on myself.

I realized that Thanksgiving should be all year around.  People are in need every day - not just during the holiday season. There are families grieving this season.  There are families fractured.  Someone's bank account is empty.  Some other family might have lost their home in a fire.  Another person could be homeless and out in the cold on a daily basis.  Then there's that one stranger standing on the side of the road who doesn't have family, food, money, or a home.

I challenge each of us to show our gratitude and our blessings throughout the entire calendar year.  It doesn't have to be a grand gesture; it can be something small - once a month - for a complete stranger or someone we know and see often.

God has been so good to us - who are we not to show His love by our generosity to others? It's what we are called to do in the body of Christ. It's what Jesus did...


1 Thessalonians 5:18
18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
 
 
redbubble.com
 
 "Everyday is a Day of Thanksgiving"
 
 
 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment