Wednesday, March 5, 2014

ACE #149: Why I Still March

Today, I joined in with the Allied Organizations for Civil Rights commemorating the 50th Anniversary March on Frankfort, Kentucky.  It was one of the most peaceful, yet thought-provoking, demonstrations I think I have ever attended.  We walked down the street to the powerful song, "Break Every Chain" coming out of the speakers.  People of all races, religions, colors, creeds, and genders gathered in a commonplace  to celebrate the theme, LIFT EVERY VOICE AND VOTE - with hopes of encouraging Kentucky's state legislators to pass HB70, which would "restore voting rights to former felons who have served their sentence and paid their debt to society."

I marched because:
I am free to do so. 
I am on the battlefield fighting for our young, African-American boys who populate our jails instead of our classrooms.
I am one of six black girls who stood on a stage and received nothing...because of the color of my skin.
I know people died that I can have rights to vote and to sit at the front of the bus.
I have a daughter whose skin is brown just like mine and I am determined that she knows she's beautiful.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
 
God's truth is marching on...
either you'll make history or you'll just read about it.

 
 
 


 
"Evil only succeeds when good people do nothing."
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
 
 
Amos 5:24                    
But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.

Proverbs 21:15                    
When justice is done, it is a joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment