Monday, April 28, 2014

ACE #191: Unfriend Me!

I see so many social media posts with people threatening to “unfriend” other people.  I’ve been connected to many people through social media over the last three years, and I’ve never “unfriended” anyone.  BUT that doesn’t mean I haven’t thought about it.

There are really only two things that would make me want to “unfriend” people.  The first thing is if their comments are racist.  The other is if people speak negatively about Jesus.  Why are these things the non-negotiables?  Simply put, these are the things that are really close to my heart and would, therefore, elicit a very strong response from me.  In my mind, if a person does not consider the impact race has had and continues to have on my life and the negative emotions associated with racism, then they don’t know ME…at all.  Secondly, anyone who could talk negatively about Jesus …well, that means to me that they don’t know HIM either!

One of the biggest issues with the social media landscape is that we post stuff all “willy nilly” and in our emotions with our unfiltered opinions and then have the nerve to get mad when people respond negatively.  Well, isn’t that why we posted it in the first place…to get a response?  Then comes the “telling off” of people in cyberspace…most of who are not going to read your post anyway.  Let's be honest, social media is way more than connections and communication.

Why do people “unfriend” others? Most people “unfriend” because they want to declutter their social circles.  Others “unfriend” because they get offended.  Yet, still others “unfriend” because they never really knew the person in the first place.  Imagine that…

Sometimes “unfriending” becomes a major deal and spills over into real life situations because people take that kind of stuff personally.  If you find yourself constantly threatening to “unfriend” someone, maybe you should take a break from social media, clean up your friend’s list, or stop accepting everyone’s friend request.  When I find myself thinking about deleting someone from my friend’s list, I have had to check my intention for being on social media in the first place.  Yes, I am on there for the connections.  But my primary purpose is for ministry and spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Even when people offend me on social media, I won’t “unfriend” them because of MY intention.  However, I will take them out of my News Feed.  I will always be mindful to guard myself against the things that cause me to think negatively or are just straight up disturbing like photos of dead people, abused animals, and a flurry of angry four letter words (none of which are "love").  I am also mindful that people might still see my messages even if I take them out of my News Feed. 

The ultimate goal for Christians is to have a Christ-like mind.  That is why I try my best to spend more time reading my Bible and devotionals than I do reading social media posts.  Always be mindful that negative thoughts, words and images have the power to disturb our peace and influence the rest of our day.  Protect your peace and reexamine your intention!

Proverbs 4:23

23 Above all else, guard your heart,
    for everything you do flows from it.

Philippians 4:7

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 1:7

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind".
 
 
Photo from theexaminer.com
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment