Thursday, June 12, 2014

ACE #231: That Nagging Toothache and the Golden Rule

This morning as I was preparing to go to the dentist office, sheer panic swept over me.  I cracked a filling two days ago and I could see the hole that it left in my very back tooth.  It hurt to get toothpaste down in it, mouth wash, and even cold or hot liquids.  It was just a horrible toothache.  This tooth has been a problem for years.  I've had it repaired several times.  I do not numb well.  Honestly, had a hole not been left back there, I would have waited as long as I could to get it repaired...if I ever did!  The problem is, it would have eventually decayed.

Before I sat in the dentist's chair, I prayed.  I asked God to deliver some type of healing or remedy so that I would not have to get that tooth drilled.  When I sat down in the chair, the dentist scraped it.  When air was blown onto the spot, I thought I would surely die.  She then said that it didn't feel soft, so she could just fill it in without having to drill.  Praise Jesus up above!!!!!!!!!

This reminded me of how some people can be just like that nagging toothache - we dread having to deal with them. It's almost painful to have to be in their presence. Every encounter with those types of people is difficult and uncomfortable.  We wish that we just didn't have to do it.  Nevertheless, we cannot avoid them forever.

But Jesus reminds us to do good to others as we would like others to do to us.  Even when people are difficult to deal with and nagging, we must deal with them in kindness and love.  It's a tough lesson that we are taught at a young age by what is known as The Golden Rule.  We must always endeavor to imitate the example that Christ has set for us.

But keep in mind - never be the nagging toothache!

Luke 6:27-31
 
27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.


 
 


 

4 comments:

  1. I have to have a tooth extracted and I am terrified. I do not want to go under, but I do not want to have to be awake and deal with seeing and hearing all that work that is involved. Does anyone who has had a tooth removed have any advice. I haven't been able to sleep in weeks because i am terrified about going to the dentist.

    Joanna @ Westheimer Dentist

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your analogy. There are people in this world that get under your skin as much as you try not to allow them—just like a toothache. It's a nagging annoyance that doesn't ever seem to go away. I strive every day to never be a toothache to someone else's day.

    Lola @ Western Dental - Ventura Dentist

    ReplyDelete