Thursday, June 5, 2014

ACE #227: Why We Really Care About Rihanna's Dress

One of this morning's headlines read:

Rihanna’s perfume ad banned in the United Kingdom for sultry, nearly nude pose 


The Rogue by Rihanna ad shows the 26-year-old singer in a 'provocative' pose unsuitable for children, a British regulatory agency found Wednesday. The news comes two days after RiRi wore next to nothing - just a visible G-string - beneath a glimmering sheer dress at the CFDA Awards in New York City

Yesterday, one of my former students posted comments about Rihanna's infamous dress that she wore at the CFDA Fashion Icon Awards.  That was last week and we are STILL talking about it.  Well, wasn't that why she wore the dress, so we - the people - could talk about it?  As a mother of a five-year-old daughter, I felt my own mother rise up in me - like with the infamous Daisy Dukes. (See below).

This is not the image I want my daughter to either emulate or see.  And by stating so, I was accused of perpetuating "rape culture" and oppressing women by another Facebook poster.  Are you serious? Really? The devil is a lie. (Also, see below).

Yes, there is such a thing as freedom of expression in several forms.  I firmly believe that women have the choice to wear whatever they want to wear, as do men, but it should be done in a respectable and responsible manner, particularly when tiny eyes are watching.  How is being half naked for money any different that selling your body for money?  It's not really.  The Word of God is true and real, "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil.  Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs" 1 Timothy 6:10.  While I didn't understand the example my mother, grandmother and great-aunts set when I was younger - I get it!

Rihanna is a beautiful young lady - naturally stunning perhaps.  She could have been just as stunning in any dress that was not revealing her most intimate body parts.  While it is certainly not Rihanna's responsibility to be my child's role model, this statement summed it up best:


"With freedom comes responsibility" ~ Professor Andrew Baskin


Now, that's stunning!

The Unacceptable Acceptance of Rape

Me and Those Daisy Dukes


No comments:

Post a Comment