Thursday, April 24, 2014

ACE #187: Me and Those Daisy Dukes

The photo below of the little girl and her mother reminds me of a story that I’ve told often.

When I was about 20-years-old, I came home from college one Saturday to wash my car.  I wore a bikini top and some “Daisy Duke” shorts.  Of course, I thought I was cute.  I hated washing my car, but I was on a college student budget so I had to do what I had to do.  I figured that I just might as well look good while doing it.  Cars were driving up and down the street, which was normal for a Saturday afternoon.  There were boys and men paying just enough attention, but not too much because everybody knew that my daddy was not to be played with when it came to his girls.

After a while, my mother asked me to go to the grocery store for her.  Quite naturally, I knew I would need to change clothes…and I did.  When I came back, I went to my room to change back into my bikini top and my Daisy Dukes.  I looked for them for a while and I couldn’t find them.  I asked my sister, “Where are my shorts?”  Her response was, “Oh, Mom threw them in the dumpster at the end of the street.”  I went to my mother and asked, “Maaaaaa…why did you throw away my shorts?”  She said, “If you want them, then get up in that dumpster and get them.  I put them where they belonged!” 

Anybody that knows me knows that there is nothing that I want badly enough to get my hands dirty in that manner.  Washing my car was already way too much for me.  That situation taught me a lesson that I will never forget.  Did I care more about my appearance (to attract attention) versus my reputation?  Believe it or not, our own reputation is tied to our parents' reputations...even if we don't live under their roof. 

My mother made it clear in her actions that my attire was not a good representation for my reputation...or theirs.  What we look like, which includes what we wear in public, is also a part of honoring our parents...and God!  Lesson learned.

Exodus 20:12

Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.

Ephesians 6:2

"Honor your father and mother"--which is the first commandment with a promise--
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment