Saturday, April 26, 2014

ACE #189: "Text" Message

Today, we do a great portion of communicating via text message. Text messaging seems to be the easiest way to reach people. I often find myself requesting people send text messages to communicate information. I also receive daily scripture through text messaging. It has become a powerful way for us to converse with others non-verbally.  

I know right... It's easier this way. We don't have to deal with people. We don't have to deal with attitudes. It gets the points across and we are on to the next thing in life. It doesn't matter that people can't see our actions or hear our warm feelings through this method of communication, especially when there is differences to be settled (humility). We just want to type it and then move on. 

I get it. This is cool. But as Christians, set apart by our hope in Christ, there is hardly any accountability in this method. As the the sender, I have made my request or said what I need to say and that is it. As the recipient, I can choose to respond, or not. This could go on for a time, good or bad. And, we may never get to truly experience the person who needs our testimony or vice versa. 

Where am I going? 

Well, as self-denying followers of Christ, He wants us to be living sacrifices. He desires us to be His living message from the text (His word). I am not saying texting is bad. It is actually a powerful ministry tool. However, sometimes, people should to SEE Christ's love pouring out of us. People need to HEAR the voice of believers as we should be encouraging one another. We should be the living the text so people will get the message and be encouraged by the word of God that will bring us continued hope in Jesus.

Brothers and sisters, electronic text messaging is not bad. Don't get me wrong. That is certainly not what I am implying. I am simply saying that we, as believers in Christ, should always be ready to be a living message of the text that is God's uncompromising gospel. We are the "text" message. Tell it. Don't always type it. 

RJL



No comments:

Post a Comment