Monday, January 5, 2015

ACE #319: I Won the Dance-Off

This past weekend, our nephew turned 16-years-old.  My sister decided to have him a birthday gathering.  She served as the unofficial deejay.  That was destined to turn into "our" party from the beginning. Some of the quotes I put on Facebook about the event included:
  • So I'm at a house party with a bunch of high schoolers. Shoo...I out-danced all of them! I still got it y'all. Yee! ‪#‎asthmainhalerbound‬ ‪#‎goodsleep2nite‬
  • My kid just told me she didn't want to dance with me because I am "old people"! For the nerve...
  • These younguns just asked what a Soul Train line is...Well me and my sister just worked Planet Rock and Push It. Okay, we are not Salt N Pepa, but Sugar N Spice. Yee! We've thoroughly embarrassed him.

I really did out-dance all of those young people.  Seriously...I did! Part of the fun of it all was just having the ability to have fun...to let go...to be carefree. I won't go as far to say I felt young again as my body and my lungs will betray me every time.

Recently, I witnessed a lady dancing...in church.  It looked like she could not decipher between the appropriateness of club dancing and church dancing.  Then I had to ask the question, "How would anybody know what club dancing looked like...unless they'd been in a club?"  

Maybe that's the problem...too many folk just don't know how to dance in spite of their circumstances, in spite of their setbacks, just in spite of everything...good or bad.  Maybe it shouldn't matter what the dance looks like, but rather the meaning behind the dance.  There's just cause to dance when you've been set free from some things and when your praise is so high for the Savior that you just don't care who is watching. You don't care how foolish you look. Sometimes there's just a story behind someone's praise.  

"So, DANCE," I say.  Just dance!



And David danced before the LORD with all his might;
 and David was girded with a linen ephod.



No comments:

Post a Comment