Friday, January 23, 2015

ACE #330: The Vows We Make

When my husband and I got married we said vows to each other.  Those vows were a solemn promise before one another, our closest family and friends, and in the presence God.  

When we commit our lives to Christ through acceptance and baptism, we make the same vows and promises to God that we will dedicate our lives to Him.


As 2015 approached, my husband and I made a vow to God that we would not turn down ministry assignments this year - that we would not only accept them, but challenge ourselves higher in our call as Christians and as ministry leaders.


Two weeks ago, a dear friend, Rev. DeLishia Boykin asked me to deliver a message on her "21 Days of Personal Transformation" call line.  The week she asked originally was our daughter's birthday.  My husband and I had planned many activities most appropriate and celebratory of our little princess. So Rev. D and I negotiated a different day.  Last night, I was able to minister on the line about the subject of "Peace".  Part of the message came from a blog I'd written last year titled, "Get Somewhere and Find Some Peace"!(See: http://theafterchurchexperience.blogspot.com/2014/07/ace-251-get-somewhere-and-find-some.html).  

The spoken message focused on these concluding points derived from the Biblical story "Jesus Calms the Storm":


1.  Peace is tied to trusting God.

2.  If we know Jesus, we must know peace.
3.  Fear and peace cannot function in the same space.

I was grateful for the opportunity to share the Word of God, but also grateful that I had not broken the vow I had made to God at the start of the year.  This new level of commitment has already connected me with old friends and new opportunities.


My husband and I are poised and positioned to move to our next level in ministry, in part, because we know God has greater for us, but also because we made a vow, a solemn promise, that we would do MORE for the Kingdom.  We proclaim that greater is coming!

So, today, as many of us are asking God to send us a breakthrough, answer our prayers, and give us peace, let's be mindful of the promise we made to be committed to His will and His way, but also to make new commitments to take the gospel of Jesus Christ to the masses and the small corners of the earth.  


To get God's greater - desire to do greater work for Him, in Him, and through Him.  Will you make a new vow today?


Ecclesiastes 5:4
When you make a vow to God, do not delay to fulfill it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow.


Who is the Rev. DeLishia Boykin?
http://about.me/delishia.boykin

21 Days of Personal Transformation
http://www.21daysofpersonaltransformation.com/category/daily-devotions/





No comments:

Post a Comment