Tuesday, November 26, 2013

ACE #68: Get Out of the Way of Your Gift

Donald Lawrence has a new song out called, "The Gift".  The lyrics are:

The gift it looks good on you..
The systems of the world will try to take your confidence
But these systems were desgined to make you doubt what heaven sent
The systems of the world will try to take your confidence
But these systems were designed to make you sit down on your gift
But the gift God gave to you, give it back to Him
When He sees it operating, it's a compliment to Him
But the gift God gave to you, give it back to Him
For the gift it will make room, position, for great men to see you
The gift it looks good on you...and you wear it well.
God has graced you and you wear it well.

I began piano lessons at the age of 8.  (Let's be clear, I never intended for it to become a ministry or even a job).  I started playing piano for my mother's church choir at the age of 14 for $25.00 every other Sunday.  By the age 16, our beloved church musician died.  I was the only one in the entire church that could even play the piano.  So by default, I became the church musician.  It meant that I was responsible for five choirs before I entered the 11th grade of high school.  I had to have a practice schedule for all of them.  I also had to attend church services at 11:00 a.m. every Sunday and, occasionally, afternoon services at 4:00 p.m.  This was every week, even while I was an undergraduate college student.

People can only imagine the amount of stress, heartache, and challenges I have encountered in this position.  I was a child.  Nobody ever asked me if this was the life I wanted. I didn't!  At times, I must admit, I still don't in difficult circumstances.  I've always said that this has been both my blessing and my curse because while gifts are full of blessings, they are also loaded with responsibility and accountability.

As I've grown older, the responsibility has not gotten easier and the load no lighter. However, the older I get, the more I get out of the way of my gift - meaning I let God use me and let my gift bless others.  Thinking back, my $25.00 every other week was able to pay for lunch for other students who didn't have lunch money.  I was able to put gas in my own car and rarely had to ask my parents for money.  Beyond that, people have walked up to me after Sunday morning worship and told me how much my playing or the choir's singing has blessed them.  I've learned not to fight the gift. 

I've played piano at numerous churches, for many funerals, for a few weddings, for children, for adults, in front of large crowds, at community celebrations, for a dying mother/grandmother in her living room, for clergy, and in front of bishops.  Here's the thing I realized, if I wasn't playing for God - then I really didn't need to be playing for anyone else! HE GAVE ME THE GIFT.  Now, I don't do it to honor people; I do it to honor God because, "A gift opens the way and ushers the giver into the presence of the great" (Proverbs 18:16).  This particular gift has opened doors for me to develop my other gifts in ministry.  My gift has made a way for me in life MANY times.

I've learned to get out the way of my gift.  The result has been God's continuous favor! Learn to say about your gift(s), "It looks good on me!"

"The Gift"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqneZoegA5A

 
hiskingdomprophecy.com




No comments:

Post a Comment