Wednesday, October 16, 2013

ACE #29: When We Want What Someone Else Has

There have been times in my life when I have wished or desired to have riches beyond measure or what we know as "celebrity money" - like Oprah, Tyler, Will, Tom, Angelina, Diddy, Beyoncé, etc.   Then I had to ask myself how those individuals came about making the money they had.  What were their stories?  What were their struggles?  What were their compromises?  What were their sacrifices?

No matter what, there are some things that I do not wish to change in my childhood, or in my life in general, to get to that level of financial stability.  I have never lived in poverty, I have never had broken relationships with my parents/family, and I have never suffered from any form of abuse.  I have been fortunate...actually blessed beyond measure.  And I take none of it for granted.

When we look behind or beyond the money - what's the true backstory of someone's life?  I tell people all the time that I would rather have happiness, good health, and peaceful days than all of the money in the world.  Yes, God can bless us with a lot of money, but after we buy so much "stuff", what is left to get?

It's the intangible stuff that I really cherish.  We must learn to be content with the things God has given us in life, be good stewards of those things, and seek Him so that He can prosper us according to His plan and with His riches.

Hebrews 13:5
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’

 

 
Photo credit divavillage.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment