Friday, October 25, 2013

ACE #38: Why the TLC Biopic Hit Close to Home

Right before I graduated from college, I'd made up my mind that I would go to graduate school, but I would also pursue a career in the entertainment industry.  It was the words of my cousin, Crystal, that stuck with me, in my head, playing like a broken record over and over again.  She worked in student services at Clark Atlanta University.  She said, "I have a lot of students who are trying to get into the industry.  They have auditioned at LaFace many times.  Several of them have interned there.  If you want to come down here, I will help you. But be clear...from what I've heard it's a form of prostitution in so many ways."  I didn't have sense enough to really know what that meant...then.

I went to graduate school and signed with CAM Talent Agency.  I auditioned in various parts of Columbus, OH.  Sometimes it would be during my scheduled classes at Ohio State.  Eventually, it came down to me choosing between my dream and my reality.  The reality was that I knew I could get a graduate degree, but I wasn't really certain that I would make it in the industry.  I'd prepared...I could play the piano, I'd taken jazz dance, I could hold a tune sort of, and I was rocking that Halle Berry cut.  And let's be clear, I even had the ego - I had a crown and a sash to help with that.  (More on that another time). I also had my upbringing and my morals.  I wouldn't compromise any of those things for any level of stardom.  I would ask myself constantly, "What if my pastor or my daddy was watching?"

When I watched the TLC movie, I was sad. I was angry. I was stunned.  These girls were beautiful, talented, and naïve.  I won't judge Pebbles because she was only doing what she was programmed to do in this industry.  (Okay, maybe I will a little).  It was her life's work...or so she thought.  Was she wrong? Absolutely.  Looking back, I'm sure she knows she was wrong.  I watched an interview between her and CeCe Winans where they discussed the dangers and sacrifices of this business.  Sister Perri Reid, aka Pebbles, is now an ordained minister. She made a decision to walk on a different path. I commend her for that actually.  Sometimes it takes hitting "rock bottom" to realize who THE ROCK really is.

I don't really cast blame on the members of TLC or Pebbles, but I couldn't help noticing that those girls' parents were not present in any of those business transactions.  People have asked us many times about putting our daughter into modeling.  We've held off for many reasons, but the main reason is because she's not ready - and neither are we.  Decisions like this have to be God-focused, God-centered and GOD-BLESSED!  Those girls were young when they went into this industry.  I do not care if they were in their 20s...parents should never feed their children to the wolves or the lions.  If my child ever goes into a lion's den, surely believe that me and her father will be sitting right in there with her!  The enemy comes to steal, kill and destroy...no matter how dressed up, swagged out, or shiny the package looks.  Parents, support your children's dreams, but protect their futures.

There have been days that I have had plenty of "what if" questions.  In the end, I must admit...I kind of love my life - just the way it is!


Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.



 
RIP Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes

No comments:

Post a Comment