Monday, October 28, 2013

ACE #41: Revisiting the Ten Commandments

Yesterday, I was tasked with doing the weekly Children's Moment during the church service.  I chose the lesson about Moses and The Ten Commandments.  While the children seemed interested, it was the adults who seemed a little intrigued.

I've often heard people discount these ten laws because they do not think they apply in today's society or say, "It's from The Old Testament". I've heard the argument from the viewpoints of Bible scholars, atheists, agnostics, theologians, and others.  Well...I'm none of those things.  I, personally, think these commandments apply even more today. What I learned as a child takes on a much greater - personal - meaning as an adult.  I recognized that I needed to revisit what these laws really meant and still mean to me.

At the center of all commandments is loving God and loving others. Even Jesus said so.  It's a simple lesson really...even when written in a language crafted for children. 

Matthew 22:37-40
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
 
Study link:


 
keeptencommandments.info

No comments:

Post a Comment