Tuesday, January 14, 2014

ACE #107: Relationship Status: God's Best

One of my friends was in a relationship with a woman for about two years.  He wanted to get married, but she never gave any indication that was what she wanted.  (As a matter of fact, she was still harboring hurt and resentment from a previous relationship).  She had a habit of texting him a lot - even when he had expressed that texting was not really a preferred method of communication.  I told him the thing that I learned about people is that no matter what, when they value you and the relationship they have with you, they will make an effort to sustain the relationship and will not find it robbery to communicate with you and talk to you in a real conversation.  I suggested that he not respond to her text one day just to see what happens.  When he received a text from her, he didn’t respond.  She sent another text the same day and he still didn’t respond.  A day passed.  A week passed.  Then two months passed.  When I talked to him, he said that in his heart he knew what was going to happen when he didn’t respond to her text, but he just had to make sure that he was prepared for the hurt and the anger that would follow when she wouldn’t make the effort to pick up the telephone and actually call or stop by the house to see why he didn’t respond to the text.

While I am not an expert on relationships, I didn’t have to be one to know how this situation was going to turn out based on experience.  My friend tells me all the time, “You forced me to do it.”  And I laugh every time he says it.  My response is always, “No, I didn’t force you to do it.  I suggested you do it, so that you could see that you’re better than that.  You’re better than a half-hearted effort.  You needed to move on so that whoever God wanted you to be with could get to you.”

Every now and then, you’ll have to let go of some things to get God’s best. It starts with knowing you’re God’s best.
 
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
 
1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
 
"He Cares for You" - Thompson Community Singers
 
 
 
 
God knows what's best for us...trust Him!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment