Tuesday, January 21, 2014

ACE #114: Grandmother and Me

While on my way to work this morning, when my mobile phone rang, I knew exactly who it was.  A bucket load of snow had fallen and was still falling.  I answered the phone, "Hey, Grandmama". Since I was a child, she has always been known as, "Grandma Chris" by her grandchildren, but I would get proper sometimes and call her, "Grandmother" or more affectionately, "Chrissy Girl".

My siblings and I grew up with all four of our grandparents.  Anymore, that is so rare.  Back then, in the "olden" days, it was quite common.  Most of my friends grew up the same way.  We were fortunate, blessed really, enough to have our paternal set of grandparents who lived at the top of our street in our neighborhood.  We stood on their front porch when it rained and we had to catch the school bus.  Our maternal set lived about a mile away down the street from our church.  We could walk or ride our bikes to get to them, if we were bold enough.  All of my best memories were made during the summer time.  Sometimes is was just eating a popsicle on the porch.  Other times it was riding to the country to go fishing.

Our daughter has all four of her grandparents and three great-grandparents to make and share memories with at the age of five.  I can see the resemblances of the relationship that I had with my grandmother growing up and her and my mom right now.  It's amazing the things we take for granted in our youth that we can only wish for as we grow older.

My grandmother doesn't have as much spunk as she used to back in the day, but her sharp tongue hasn't slowed a bit.  I don't complain much about my grandmother fussing that my posture isn't perfect or that I chew gum during church service.  I recognize that she's grown both older...and more gray each year.  Just today she bossed me real good, "If that weather is going to get worse, you better turn that car right around and get your hind parts on back up that highway!"

If your grandmother is still alive, just enjoy watering flowers, taking a walk, sitting on the porch with her, or just holding her hand.

Proverbs 17:6
Grandchildren are the crown of the aged, and the glory of children is their fathers.

Proverbs 16:31
Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life.




 

 

1 comment: