Sunday, May 11, 2014

ACE #203: That's My Mama

That's my mama. When you here this, you probably think of the mid 70's TV series that ran for 1 year. It was a good show, but it didn't last long because it was never really received by people other than the black community. But "that's my mama" is a strong statement. It is an expression that let's folks know that this is my mama, for better or for worse. 

I first want to give a shout out to my mama and all the mothers throughout world. Happy Mother's Day! Mama, I know we don't always agree on things and things are not perfect, but I still would like to show my love and appreciation for my mama today. You raised me to be a man and I am thankful for it. Thank you. 

But when I hear "that's my mama," I can't help but think of the scripture when Jesus was approached by the man who wanted to let Him know His brother and mother were outside to see Him. Jesus responded with something like "who is my mother and who is my brothers?" Then he stretched out His hand toward His disciples and replied, "here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of God is His brother, sister and mother."

Doing the will of God is what will draw us closer to Christ. He's not concerned with earthly relationships as much as He is with a spiritual relationship with God. This does not discredit the earthly mothers God uses to be fruitful. It means that when we become more interested in kingdom work and making disciples of men, Jesus is more likely to declare "that's my mama." 

http://mobile.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew+12:46-50

No comments:

Post a Comment