Friday, May 30, 2014

ACE #221: The Smallest of Gifts

One of the habits I am trying to reign in is my shopping habit.  I love to shop.  I do have a general rule, though.  If it's not on sale, then it's not for me. 

Every year, I go shopping the entire week after Christmas.  The day after. Then the next day.  Then the day after the next day.  I will pick up some of the best stuff for half price.  I have a process - a plan of action - that includes shopping in advance for the next Christmas.  I have, what my friend calls, "closet reserve" - all occasion gifts in my closet. But I rarely give gifts that I wouldn't like for myself.  They are not expensive gifts - really they're usually the smallest of gifts.  If anybody knows me, then they know that my greatest joy on Christmas Day, next to celebrating Jesus, is pulling various types of socks out of my stocking - dress socks, fuzzy slipper socks, and plain ole white sports socks.  A person can not possibly have too many socks. My husband never forgets to add this to my list.  They are not expensive, but they are thoughtful.  He has me in mind when he buys them.

This past year, I gave my boss a pair of cream and tan gloves.  While I didn't think it was necessarily the most expensive gift, I thought the gift would match her personality and her taste.  Besides, I would have kept them for myself, but I would have just been acting greedy. 

Christmas was five months ago, and she has brought up those gloves to me at least once a month since then.  She told me, and others, that she has the most difficult time finding gloves that fit because she has such long fingers and they matched a lot of her coats. 

Folks, don't get so caught up in how much a gift costs.  The smallest of gifts can have a huge impact if given from the heart and with thoughtfulness in mind.


2 Corinthians 9:7
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.


No comments:

Post a Comment