Friday, May 16, 2014

ACE #208: Character Reference

Are you a troublemaker?
Are you difficult?
Are you a complainer?
Are you generous?
Are you full of joy?
Are you reliable?
Are you trustworthy?
Are you fake?

I receive requests all of the time for character references.  Before I write one, I usually ask the person, "What would you say about yourself?"  Many people have stumbled when trying to answer this question.  Then I pose another question, "What would your friends say about you?"

Some time ago, while in conversation with one of my friends, she had mentioned that someone who didn't know me was trying to relay a story about me - basically what someone else had told her about me because of a past disagreement.  The story didn't paint me in a favorable manner.  It could have actually been damaging to my reputation.  She said she let the person talk, then when the opportunity came she spoke up.  She explained to the person that she had known me all of our lives, literally since birth.  She said that in all of those years she had never known me to be a liar...that perhaps there were times when I was a little too truthful.  Some people can handle it, while others can't.  She reminded this person that there were always two sides to every story and because she knew my character, and not necessarily because we were friends, she was more inclined to believe my rendition of that same story.

I didn't bring this situation up for anyone to think I am a saint, because I certainly am not. I did, however, want to demonstrate that even when you are not in a room - your character, your reputation, and your past actions will speak for you.  But when they don't, someone will speak up on your behalf based upon what they know about your character.

Always remember, the only things that will outlast us beyond the grave are our relationship with God and our reputations.

Ecclesiastes 7:1 

A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of birth.    



Image by proprof.com

No comments:

Post a Comment