Friday, May 23, 2014

ACE #215: When the Storm Breaks

The other day I had a horrible headache.  I took a combination of over-the-counter pain relievers and none seemed to work.  I tried Excedrin Migraine first thing in the morning.  Several hours later, I tried Advil.  Then a few more hours passed and I tried Aleve.  It was one of those heavy, dull, all over the head and face kind of headaches.  Even my ears were slightly clogged.  I rarely get headaches where nothing seems to relieve them, but this was excruciating pain. I just needed something, anything to get the headache to break.  But in my mind, I knew what it was...it was the storm that was brewing.  The barometric pressure was so heavy or strong or whatever that it caused my sinuses and allergies to go into overdrive.  The weather had triggered a combination of a migraine, sinus, and tension headache. 
 
All while managing this headache, I had to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things.  During this trip, the clouds and the sky started to get darker.  I did my best to beat the storm.  I moved so quickly that I forgot something and had to go back to the store.  Just as soon as I got in the car, the rain started coming down.  The lightning started flashing.  The thunder started rolling.  I couldn't wait to get home.  I was so preoccupied with my safety that I didn't even realize that after the storm had broken, so did my headache.
 
This particular situation reminds me of the great storms in the Bible, particularly in the stories of Jonah and the 12 Disciples.  In both cases, order and calm were restored when the storms subsided.  But don't miss this - God was always in control of the storms from the beginning to the end. 
 
If you're going through a storm of any kind in your life, remember who is in control. The storm has to break...it can't last forever. Relief has to come.
 
 
 
 
Image from devianart.com
 
 
People say that the calm always comes right BEFORE the storm. Well, I'm here to tell somebody that I serve a God who can bring a "great calm" DURING and AFTER the storm. Know the power of the God you serve! 

 Mark 4:39
39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment